Sunday, March 1, 2009

First Week of School

If there is one thing I am really enjoying about my experience in Australia, it is the education. I really do like all my professors and the way they teach my classes. They just seem very professional and prepared. Plus, EVERY lecture is recorded and posted on the internet just in case you cannot make it to class. It’s not such a big deal over here if you don’t go to class; they just put all the responsibility on you to learn everything you need to for your class.

I’m just a little taken back though… It’s so different over here. There really isn’t any homework, assignments, quizzes, tests… There are just major final projects/exams. Take for instance my cognitive psychology class… We just have one exam the entire course at the end of the semester and it is worth 60% of our grade. And the entire exam is 4 essay questions… EEK NERVOUSNESS! The other 40% is from a paper we have to write in the lab/tutorial part of the course. It’s pretty crazy… and I am kind of lost as to what to do. I don’t know whether I should start reading/studying. I’m so used to having constant papers to write, assignments to do, exams to study for, but now I just find myself with nothing to do but study in preparation for the final week of school.

Overall, I absolutely love my university here in Australia. It’s huge… the people are really nice. And the student life seems to be very unique. The only drawback to my first week is that 3 of my classes are off campus… And not just walk 10 minutes off campus… I have to take a BUS to these classes, which means I have to miss the lectures before them to make it to THESE classes. It’s going to kind of stink because I’m going to have to watch those classes online, but I cannot complain.


University of Western Australia... "Seek Wisdom"

No comments:

Post a Comment