Sunday, March 1, 2009

More Things about Australian Culture

  • You will never hear anyone say “You’re Welcome” when you thank them. You just get a “No worries.”
  • Everyone wants to know about Obama. They want to know if I voted for him and what I think of him. Aussies love OBAMA and hate BUSH… not so different from the US.
  • Australians love American culture/politics. It’s so crazy because when I arrived here, I thought I would experience a completely new array of musicians, TV shows, movies, etc., but it isn’t like that. Everyone in Australia looks to America for entertainment. Just like the US, we all watched the Oscars and gossiped about who was wearing what (haha).
  • I don’t know if I mentioned already, but EVERYTHING closes at 5:00 pm… so if you don’t stop by the grocery store before work ends, you aren’t eating for dinner.
  • The weather is very similar to Albuquerque in the summer, except the ozone is a lot thinner over here, so the severity of the sun is 10 x worse. I look like an idiot everyday because I am the only loser walking around with an umbrella to block the sun from my face.
  • I cannot say all Australians… but for some reason, most of the people that I encounter don’t wear deodorant. It’s not such a big thing here, and I don’t understand…? Even at the pharmacies (called “chemists”), there is a very limited selection of deodorants.
  • People smoke and drink like crazy over here. EVERYWHERE I turn, there are people smoking and drinking… Poor livers/lungs…! This is the only place I’ve ever seen where it’s not uncommon for people to start drinking by 1:00 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment