Friday, July 3, 2009

Information about My Medical Internship

I received my schedule for the next 4 weeks during my internship, which are as follows:

Week 1 – Pediatrics
Week 2 – Internal Medicine
Week 3 – Surgery
Week 4 – Tropical Skin Diseases

And I’m absolutely ECSTATIC with what I was given. In my application, I told them that I was interested in interning in a wide array of different departments within the hospital because I thought having knowledge in many areas of medicine would be most beneficial to me, especially if I try to become a General Practitioner (GP) in the future…

Well, I got it! Each week I will be shadowing doctors within these departments and learning as much as I can about them. For the first 3 weeks, I will be at McCormick Hospital, but for the final week, I will be at McKeane Hospital.

According my information packet, interns will be paired with a full-time Thai doctor and work five days a week (Mon – Fri) 8:00am – 4:00pm. In special cases, interns may work on weekends and evenings. Interns will shadow the Thai doctor in their normal, daily routines and assist with professional responsibilities.

A little info on McCormick Hospital… McCormick is well known as being the first hospital in northern Thailand. It originally opened in 1889, and the father of King Bhumibol (the current king of Thailand) did his residency training at McCormick Hospital many decades ago. Currently McCormick Hospital has roughly 780 employees. A total of 41 doctors, 7 dentists, 10 pharmacists and 214 nurses currently work there full-time. McCormick is a private Christian hospital, founded by Presbyterian Missionaries.

I don’t know too much about McKeane Hospital yet (I haven’t been there), but here are some pictures I took during my first week @ McCormick.

McCormick - Private Christian Hospital (see the cross above)

This is how I look most days... blue polo with khakis (they want us to dress nice)

Front of the hospital

Entrance... both in Thai and English

Picture of Jesus (it is a Christian hospital)

OPD (Out-Patient Department) or the front of the hospital...

"Doctors Dining Hall" - where we get to eat lunch with the doctors everyday

Chapel Hall - service is held every morning @ 7 AM

Another mural of Jesus... YAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment