Friday, July 3, 2009

I’ve Arrived - The New House in THAILAND!

As mentioned many times before within my blog, I will be participating in medical internship for 4 weeks in Chiang Mai, Thailand, through the volunteer organization Experiential Learning International (ELI).

Well... I’ve finally made it! I arrived in Thailand about a week ago from Australia.

I will be staying with other volunteers/interns in the “Friends for Asia” volunteer house in Chiang Mai. Currently, there are about 10 interns/volunteers living in the house. The house includes:

· 10 beds in 4 bedrooms
· Air conditioning in all the bedrooms, along with fans
· 2 bathrooms upstairs – These bathrooms have hot water showers
· 1 bathroom downstairs – All bathrooms have western style toilets
· A large kitchen
· Cable television with 7 English channels, including CNN and the BBC
· 220 V electricity
· Todd and the Volunteer Coordinator(s) offices
· A landline telephone

Here are just a couple of pics of my new house for the next 4 weeks… it isn’t exactly the Hilton (i.e. the AC/fans don’t really work and the mattresses are only about 1” thick), but I’ll survive… at least there’s TV!

"Friends for Asia" logo

The house

My bedroom that I share w/two other medical interns

My mattress... only like an inch thick (haha)... comfy, right?

Little closet

The front gate

Coolest looking mailbox... or is it an alter??? I don't really know...

Living room

Kitchen

Kitchen

One of the showers

Bathroom

Shower/sink combo... haha!

"Friends for Asia" FRIEND - these little lizards are all over the house at night... but they're good because they eat all the bugs in the house

"Friends for Asia" FOE - Roaches are everywhere, and it's pretty sick... definitely NOT a friend because they carry bacteria/viruses

Old school washer

Pretty cool picture in my bedroom... I'm going to ride an elephant in Thailand as soon as I get the chance!

Friendly neighborhood

View outside the window

Finally, the street we live on....

1 comment: