Saturday, February 7, 2009

Hiking Mt. Wellington, Exploring Mt. Field, & Petting a Koala

As I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, there really isn’t anything to do in Hobart. You have to travel outside of it into the wilderness or take day tours to actually experience anything worthwhile.

So for my 2nd day in the city, I took a trip over to Mt. Field National Park, where I got to see Russell Falls (see waterfall pictures) and all the amazing wildlife Tasmania has to offer.

Then after hiking around the mountain, I went to a local animal shelter that cares for animals that have been orphaned, injured, abandoned, etc.

It was there that I got to see up close Tasmanian devils (which are going extinct), emus, kangaroos, wallabies (small kangaroo-like animals), platypuses, and of course the koala! The cool thing was that it is a very small shelter, not really like a zoo, so the handlers actually let us in the pens/cages with all the animals.

But the best part was at the end when our tour guide brought out a baby koala (see picture). He then let us pet her and take pictures with her. And if you have ever thought koalas were cute in real life, you must see them in real life – they’re even more cute.

Finally, I headed over to Mt. Wellington, one of Hobart’s main tourist attractions, and I hiked to the top. It was hard, but a good workout. P.S. The views of Hobart from the top were amazing.


Russell Falls

The highest point in Hobart - Mt. Wellington

And I present to you... HOBART!

Beautiful Russell Falls

The best part of the day... petting a baby koala!

Haha, she's so cute

Tasmanian Devils (which are going extinct - see later blog)

Weird little Australian creature

No comments:

Post a Comment