Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Melbourne, Victoria – “The Place to Be”

I just arrived in my first stop in Australia…. MELBOURNE!

The first I notice about it is the heat… It is burning up here… 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit. No, I’m not kidding… 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit! It is awful, especially because I wore a sweater, 2 jackets, and a pair of pants on my flight over.

Anyway, going through customs in Sydney was crazy… There were so many people everywhere, and I was all alone… I made it though, so all is well. P.S. I got my first VISA stamp in my passport… I have arrived!

Melbourne is truly beautiful… I’ve seen it many times before while watching the Australian Open at home, but in real life, it’s magnificent.

My hotel is really close to the center of the city… only a 5-10 minute walk. And it is even closer to the Victorian Market, a huge flea market and one of Melbourne’s prime attractions.

Melbourne is huge. It is Australia’s 2nd largest city (projected to be bigger than Sydney by 2020) with 4.1 million inhabitants, so there are people everywhere! I went exploring all over… I saw Chinatown, the Parliament, the Yarra River, Flinders Street Station, the Victorian Market, parks, cathedrals, etc. I also went to the top of a building to see the entire city from 100+ stories up… it looks like a miniature Manhattan (see picture).


A mini NYC

Yarra river

Backpacker 101

Yara River

Famous Melbourne Ferris Wheel

Parliament

The seal of the state of Victoria... I think

Flinders Street Station

No comments:

Post a Comment